On October 4, The New York Times published a 2,140-word front-page article about Sen. Barack Obama's association with former Weather Underground member William Ayers -- at least the 18th Times article this year mentioning that association. But the Times has yet to mention, let alone devote an entire article to, Sen. John McCain's relationship with radio host and convicted Watergate burglar G. Gordon Liddy. Indeed, in its October 4 article, the Times quoted Chicago Tribune columnist Steve Chapman denouncing Obama's association with Ayers but did not note that Chapman has described Liddy as McCain's "own Bill Ayers" and has written that "[i]f Obama needs to answer questions about Ayers, McCain has the same obligation regarding Liddy." The Times, moreover, quoted McCain criticizing Obama for his association with Ayers without noting that Chapman has faulted McCain for what Chapman described as McCain's "howling hypocrisy on the subject."
As Media Matters for America has noted, Liddy served four and a half years in prison in connection with his conviction for his role in the Watergate break-in and the break-in at the office of the psychiatrist of Daniel Ellsberg, the military analyst who leaked the Pentagon Papers. Liddy has acknowledged preparing to kill someone during the Ellsberg break-in "if necessary"; plotting to murder journalist Jack Anderson; plotting with a "gangland figure" to murder Howard Hunt to stop him from cooperating with investigators; plotting to firebomb the Brookings Institution; and plotting to kidnap "leftist guerillas" at the 1972 Republican National Convention -- a plan he outlined to the Nixon administration using terminology borrowed from the Nazis. (The murder, firebombing, and kidnapping plots were never carried out; the break-ins were.) During the 1990s, Liddy reportedly instructed his radio audience on multiple occasions on how to shoot Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms agents and also reportedly said he had named his shooting targets after Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Liddy has donated $5,000 to McCain's campaigns since 1998, including $1,000 in February 2008. In addition, McCain has appeared on Liddy's radio show during the presidential campaign, including as recently as May. An online video labeled "John McCain On The G. Gordon Liddy Show 11/8/07" includes a discussion between Liddy and McCain, whom Liddy described as an "old friend." During the segment, McCain praised Liddy's "adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great," said he was "proud" of Liddy, and said that "it's always a pleasure for me to come on your program."
Sunday, October 05, 2008
Liddy as McCain's "own Bill Ayers"
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- Joe The Plumber Throws McCain Under The Bus
- Prominent Republicans Endorsing Obama
- Former GOP Senator Backs Obama
- Rove On McCain: "Very Steep Hill To Climb"
- Alaska's largest newspaper has endorsed Obama.
- Right Wing Nut Job, Florida WFTV anchor Barbara We...
- Barack Obama: 'Defining moment' TV ad
- Right Wing Blogosphere On Death Watch
- Republican's Are Wrong About Tightening National P...
- McCain Adviser Endorses Obama
- Breaking: McCain Volunteer's "Mutilation" Story Ma...
- spread the truth about ACORN
- McCain Palin In A Nutshell
- GOP "Death List"
- Obama's Lead Widens: 52%-38%
- GOP Voter Fraud
- GOP Operative Arrested In Voter Fraud
- Brzezinski Smaks DownMorning Joe
- More W.Va. voters say machines are switching votes...
- Help Obama
- Palin's America
- Sorting out the truth on Obama, ACORN
- Florida GOP May Be Committing Voter Registration ...
- Censure Michele Bachmann
- Simon Rosenberg: Expect McCain to Gain Ground Thes...
- About Joe The Plumber
- The Buzz On Plumber Joe
- Joe The Plumber
- Obama's White Shift
- Moron At McCain Rally Speaks Up
- ACORN's response to Palin/ McCain smear
- Palin/McCain A Week Of Hate
- Palin Report Leaked
- GOP cuts out the middle man, goes straight to Fox ...
- McCain's judgment "in a time of crisis"
- Palin/McCain Rally a Terrorist Cell
- Debate Wrap-Up
- Obama: 'Taketh'
- Job Loss: The Price Of McSame
- Liddy as McCain's "own Bill Ayers"
- $100,000 reward for Info on Rove's election theft!...
- McCain: Erratic
- Smoking Gun In The theft Of Election 2004?
- Sarah Palin's inability to defend John McCain's he...
- 'Simpsons' clip shows rigged voting machine
- Palin Won't Defend John McCain
- Mike Connell, Karl Rove's Computer Expert, Stonewa...
- Moron tries to criticize Obama with hand made sign...
- Karl Rove And DOJ
- George Soros On The Bail Out
- ▼ October (50)
- ► 2007 (580)