Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Klein Introduces Bill Ending Blank Checks to Iraq
Washington, D.C. U.S. Representative Ron Klein (FL-22) today introduced legislation expressing the Sense of House of Representatives that all future funding provided by the United States to the government of Iraq for reconstruction, training for security forces and fuel be provided as a loan, rather than a grant. The legislation also requires the Iraqi government to utilize its own budget surplus for reconstruction projects before reconstruction aid from the United States is spent.
"Whether you support the Iraq war strategy or not, we can all agree that when it comes to the $600 billion in American taxpayer dollars that we have spent over the last five years, enough is enough," Klein said. "The Iraqi government is sitting on the second-largest oil reserve in the world and expecting a multi-billion dollar budget windfall this year, yet the United States continues to finance their reconstruction. This defies common sense. American taxpayers myself included are not willing to foot the bill any longer."
Klein's legislation is the House companion to a bipartisan Sense of the Senate resolution introduced last week by Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson, Maine Senator Susan Collins and Indiana Senator Evan Bayh. The bipartisan, bicameral legislation is a common-sense proposal to require the Iraqi government to take responsibility for investing in the reconstruction of their own country.
"The United States is spending $339 million a day in Iraq, a figure that should stagger the sensibilities of every American," Klein said. "My colleagues and I are standing up to say that we can no longer continue to pour billions into Iraq at the expense of critical priorities here at home. The amount of money we spend in Iraq each day could house 48,000 homeless veterans, hire over 2,000 new Border Patrol guards for a year or give 2.6 million uninsured Americans access to health care. It is time for real fiscal responsibility, and that means ending the blank checks to Iraq."
In addition, the United States spends $153 million every month on fuel in Iraq, at a cost of approximately $3.23 per gallon; Iraqis pay just $1.30 per gallon for fuel. With the price of oil per barrel continuing to rise, the Iraqi government is expecting a budget windfall this year of up to $60 billion, while at the same time, America is facing growing debt and record deficits. If the Iraqi people and Iraqi government want the U.S. military and the American people to continue to support a stabilization effort, they must stand up and pay for it.
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- Wright Raising Questions About Obama's Electabilit...
- Take This: Obama Girl
- Why Obama and Wright pulled this sham of a media s...
- MoveOn.org Throws Obama Under The Bus
- Primary: The Race So Far
- Huge Super Delegate Pickup By Clinton
- Former Obama friend supports Clinton
- DNC to hear Florida Democrats appeals on May 31
- DailyKos: Off The Mark
- More People Have Voted For Hillary Than Any Other ...
- Why Obama Should Drop Out Now
- If Only This Was Obama
- Olbermanns Interview of Hillary
- Superdelegates: Time To Pick a Winner
- Obama Predicts Close Finish In Pennsylvania
- How Hillary won Pennsylvania
- Delegates to Dean: Uh! NO
- The Obama Campaign: Consent of, or Contempt for, t...
- The Media On The Debate
- Klein Introduces Bill Ending Blank Checks to Iraq
- Obama's Numbers Bleeding Big Time In Pennsylvania
- Unions Picket DNC Headquarters
- The Velvet Mafia
- Where Obama Went wrong: On His Bashing Of Middle A...
- Is Obama Out Of Touch?
- Are You Infected: With A Obamabot
- Obama To Clinton: Iron My Shirt
- Why Hillary Will Win
- Is Obamas Campaign Over?
- Obama Steps In IT
- Clinton talks; Obama balks
- Obama's Short Law Career
- Action Alert
- Obama's Corruption Problem
- George Bush: Fourth Amendment had no application t...
- Shelby Steele: "Race and the Obama Campaign"
- Hillary in A Nut Shell
- Randi Rhodes Calls Clinton & Ferraro Whores
- Jon Stewart On Why Obama Should Not Drop Out Of Th...
- Primary is not just destroying Progressive Radio B...
- Another Reason Obama Should Not Drop Out Of The Ra...
- Pete Seeger and Iraq veteran Chris Miller give a m...
- Lieberman Attacks Obama
- Clinton Challenges Obama To A Bowl Off
- Diebold software error reveals John McCain to win ...
- Barack Obama - The Wizard of Oz
- ▼ April (46)
- ► 2007 (580)