Wednesday, April 30, 2008
MoveOn.org Throws Obama Under The Bus
Obama did himself, the Democratic Party, and the progressive movement a disservice this weekend.
It was a mistake for Obama to go on FOX's Sunday show and treat the experience as if it was a real news interview. Democratic politicians need to understand that FOX is a Republican mouthpiece masquerading as a news outlet. When dealing with FOX, you either burn them or they will burn you.
It's well documented that FOX executives send morning memos to anchors and reporters dictating Republican talking points. In 2006, one said, "Be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents...thrilled at the prospect of a Dem controlled Congress." Robert Greenwald's videos have shown FOX's consistent pattern of smearing Barack Obama, smearing Hillary Clinton, smearing African Americans, and denying global warming.
FOX's power lies not in its audience size which is puny and consists mostly of unpersuadable voters. Instead, FOX's power comes from tricking politicians and real journalists into treating their "breaking stories" like real news, thereby propelling smears like the Swift Boats and Rev. Wright into the mainstream political dialogue. That's why progressives fought (successfully) last year to deprive FOX of the legitimacy that comes with hosting a Democratic presidential debate. And that's why Democratic politicians should never treat FOX like a real news outlet - including FOX's Sunday show.
Barack Obama's campaign made a promise before this weekend's appearance. They said he would "take Fox on" inspiring hope among those who watched Bill Clinton in 2006, Chris Dodd in 2007, and progressive activist Lee Camp in 2008 delegitimize FOX on the air. But Obama didn't do that, and he suffered as a result.
Excerpts from Obama's FOX interview:
The interview began with a question about Obama's race implying that white people won't vote for him. Instead of "taking FOX on" and saying FOX's questions are premised on Republican talking points, Obama simply answered. So, Wallace kept going asking more than 10 straight race-related questions, all skewed against Obama. (One laughably began with, "I wasn't sure whether I was even going to ask you about your former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, but...") One of these rigged questions got Obama to say, "The fact that he is my former pastor I think makes it a legitimate political issue" resulting in John McCain quoting Obama hours later, hinting to right-wing allies that Rev. Wright is fair game.
FOX also asked a bunch of questions aimed at getting Obama to distance himself from Democrats and progressives. Because Obama didn't "take on" the Republican framing of these questions, Obama was cornered into saying things like, "I think there are a whole host of areas where Republicans in some cases may have a better idea [than Democrats]" and parroting the right-wing caricature of "Chablis-drinking limousine liberals" and boasting about being "fiercely attacked" by bloggers at Daily Kos.
Enough. Democratic politicians, for your own benefit: stop legitimizing FOX.
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- Wright Raising Questions About Obama's Electabilit...
- Take This: Obama Girl
- Why Obama and Wright pulled this sham of a media s...
- MoveOn.org Throws Obama Under The Bus
- Primary: The Race So Far
- Huge Super Delegate Pickup By Clinton
- Former Obama friend supports Clinton
- DNC to hear Florida Democrats appeals on May 31
- DailyKos: Off The Mark
- More People Have Voted For Hillary Than Any Other ...
- Why Obama Should Drop Out Now
- If Only This Was Obama
- Olbermanns Interview of Hillary
- Superdelegates: Time To Pick a Winner
- Obama Predicts Close Finish In Pennsylvania
- How Hillary won Pennsylvania
- Delegates to Dean: Uh! NO
- The Obama Campaign: Consent of, or Contempt for, t...
- The Media On The Debate
- Klein Introduces Bill Ending Blank Checks to Iraq
- Obama's Numbers Bleeding Big Time In Pennsylvania
- Unions Picket DNC Headquarters
- The Velvet Mafia
- Where Obama Went wrong: On His Bashing Of Middle A...
- Is Obama Out Of Touch?
- Are You Infected: With A Obamabot
- Obama To Clinton: Iron My Shirt
- Why Hillary Will Win
- Is Obamas Campaign Over?
- Obama Steps In IT
- Clinton talks; Obama balks
- Obama's Short Law Career
- Action Alert
- Obama's Corruption Problem
- George Bush: Fourth Amendment had no application t...
- Shelby Steele: "Race and the Obama Campaign"
- Hillary in A Nut Shell
- Randi Rhodes Calls Clinton & Ferraro Whores
- Jon Stewart On Why Obama Should Not Drop Out Of Th...
- Primary is not just destroying Progressive Radio B...
- Another Reason Obama Should Not Drop Out Of The Ra...
- Pete Seeger and Iraq veteran Chris Miller give a m...
- Lieberman Attacks Obama
- Clinton Challenges Obama To A Bowl Off
- Diebold software error reveals John McCain to win ...
- Barack Obama - The Wizard of Oz
- ▼ April (46)
- ► 2007 (580)