Wednesday, May 28, 2008
DNC: We Will Not Count All Of Florida Delegates
Democratic National Committee rules require that the two states lose at least half of their convention delegates for holding elections too early, the party's legal experts wrote in a 38-page memo.
The memo was sent late Tuesday to the 30 members of the party's Rules and Bylaws Committee, which plans to meet Saturday at a Washington hotel. The committee is considering ways to include the two important general election battlegrounds at the nominating convention in August, and the staff analysis says seating half the delegates is "as far as it legally can" go.
Saturday's meeting is expected to draw a large crowd, with Clinton supporters among those encouraging a protest outside demanding that all the states' delegates be seated. Proponents of full reseating have mailed committee members Florida oranges and pairs of shoes to get their attention.
DNC officials are concerned about a potentially large turnout at the "Count Every Vote" rally outside the event and have asked the hotel staff to increase security to keep everyone safe. The DNC says the roughly 500 seats available to the public inside were taken within three or four minutes of becoming available online Tuesday.
The DNC analysis does not make recommendations for how the Rules and Bylaws Committee should vote, but gives context from the party's charter and bylaws for the committee to consider.
It underscores a prickly problem: If the Rules and Bylaws Committee decides to restore any of the states' delegates, there is not a simple way to divide them between Clinton and Barack Obama.
Clinton won the majority of the vote in Florida and Michigan and has been arguing that the delegates should be fully restored according to the results of the January primaries.
The analysis also said there is an option to restore 100 percent of the delegates by a recommendation of the Credentials Committee that meets later this summer. However, that would mean a final decision would not be made until the first day of the convention in Denver since Credentials Committee decisions have to be approved by the full convention as it convenes risking a floor fight.
shoe shipments are being organized by http://WalkAMileInOurShoes.org and the orange idea was promoted by a group called Florida Demands Representation, which plans to bus Floridians to Saturday's rally outside the meeting. Blaine Whitford, a volunteer helping organize the effort, said they are unalign with any candidate.
Susie Buell, one of Clinton's top fundraisers, has formed a political action committee encouraging women to support full seating of the delegates. The WomenCountPAC has taken out ads in USA Today and The New York Times promoting attendance at the rally.
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- DNC: We Will Not Count All Of Florida Delegates
- Another Attack On Obama
- Small Donations Continue to Fuel Democrats
- Obama: McCain's Lobbyiest Problem
- Double Talk Express: On Health Care
- Is the media covering McCain 2000 or McCain 2008?
- The DNCs state blogger credentialing process is o...
- GOP's Secret Weapon
- Your Blog of Rights
- Fire The Lobbyist
- The Bush Family A Family Of Nazis
- Bush Family Ties to Hitler And Nazis
- Stop Florida from damaging another election
- McSame: Out of Touch
- Stop The Spread Of Hate
- Wrong Way McSame
- Why Florida Matters
- Has Donna Brazile Lost it?
- McCain's "Spiritual Guide" Wants America to Destro...
- Hillarys Path to Victory
- Are All Remaining Super Delegates Just Whimps........
- The Tie Breaker
- Clinton Comes From Behind
- Cazayoux Wins!
- Unfiltered Sunday Views
- Clinton Camp Memo on Indiana, North Carolina Conte...
- Under The Bus
- Obama Is Too CHICKEN to Debate
- GOP uses Obama to boost Republican candidates
- Former DNC chairs: Hillary would beat McCain today...
- Obama Supporters getting down and dirty
- Obama Losing Support
- More Bad News For Obama
- The Best Of Clinton
- Obama Media
- Poll Shows Clinton With Big Lead Over Obama
- Clinton's Polling Numbers: The best they have been...
- Super Delegates: Get A Grip
- If the super delegates are looking at electability...
- ▼ May (39)
- ► 2007 (580)