If the Ames straw poll in Iowa revealed anything over the weekend, it was the weakness of the Republican field. From the Des Moines Register:Only 14,302 people voted in the poll, far fewer than the 23,685 who cast ballots in the last big straw poll in 1999.That's a sign Republicans are not happy with their choices. At least they aren't excited enough to brave the summer heat to vote for them.Mitt Romney spent more than $2 million in television ads, but still received only 4,516 votes, which means his campaign spent at least $443 in ad money for each vote he received. That doesn't even take into account the cost of the free T-shirts, air-conditioned tents, buses for supporters, and months worth of salaries for 60 "super-volunteers" to "talk him up."USA Today did more math. In comparison to Romney's costs (which actually may top $1,000 per vote when all costs are factored in):* Third-place finisher Sam Brownback says he spent about $325,000 to win his 2,192 votes. That's $148.27 for each vote.
* Second-place finisher Mike Huckabee spent about $150,000 and received 2,587 votes. That's $57.98 per vote.Even though Republicans tried much harder to turn out people at the Ames straw poll, there were 40% less voters at Ames this year. How hard did they try?In '99 Bush brought in 70 buses and earned 7,418 votes.
In '99 the Forbes campaign had 109 buses and received 4,921 votes.
Monday, August 13, 2007
Straw Poll Reveals Weak Republican Field
A Election '08 News Site:
For News And Commentary:
For Florida Election News See:
Political Talk For And By Political Junkies
Just Rumors The Rumor Mills
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (432)
- RNC and Pentagon Targeting Dems Who Go Do Baghdad
- Sen. Larry Craig Wrap Up
- Sen. Larry Craig's Online Profile
- Sen. Larry Craig invloved with molesting teen Page...
- 5,100 Boy Scout leaders removed for abuse
- Just Say No to Judge Southwick
- Senator Craig's Complete Arrest Report
- Florida Republicans to Lose 1/2 Delegates
- Joe Scarborough:'Element of sleaze' hangs over the...
- Bill Maher on the O'Reilly Factor
- Todays' News: 08-28-07: With Bush's Backing Iraq's...
- BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLICANS
- Shake up At justice
- Another Republican Busted For Blow Job
- Chertoff may replace Gonzales
- Violence To Remain High In Iraq Over Next Six T...
- Obama Girl takes aim at Rudy Giuliani
- Message From: John Sweeney president, AFL-CIO
- Bob Schieffer: Bush Leading Us Down A Rabbit Trail...
- Democratic Debate Round Up
- the FCC released TEN studies on media ownership
- In The News 08-16-07: What is Rove Trying to Hide
- Dan Rather Reports on Touchscreen Voting Machines:...
- Thompson: Violating the campaign laws he helped wr...
- The Return of Imus
- The Trouble with the DLC
- Straw Poll Reveals Weak Republican Field
- Cheney: Invading Iraq Would Create Quagmire
- In The News 08-12-07: How the Democrats Blew It
- DailyKos V. The DLC Part II
- Harold Ford Jr. : Down Low Conservative
- DailyKos V. The DLC
- UIowa Poll shows Clinton and Obama leading most of...
- Republican Congressional Leaders Leaking State Sec...
- Sen. Stevens Thank You Note Shows Bribery
- Public sees news media as biased and inaccurate
- Today's News 08-10-07: Bush Stealing Health Care ...
- Bush Defines Accountability
- Today's News 08-09-07:Carl Bernstein: Bush More "D...
- McCain Loses to Everyone in Iowa...Including Democ...
- Thompsons Rise To Fame As Crusading Watergate Inv...
- Oddball Tabloid Weekly World News to Cease Publish...
- YearlyKos In The News
- In The News 08-05-07: Hillary Threatens Using Nuk...
- The Democratic Party is growing more liberal for t...
- The Best of Bill O'lielly
- Democratic National Convention Committee Opens Hea...
- Senator Dodd Stomps The S*** Out Of Bill O'Reilly
- In The News 08-03-07: Lieberman's Losing Bid for I...
- Olbermann: on Gonzo-Gate
- Yearly Kos In The News
- In The News 08-02-07: Meet Giuliani's Gold Digger ...
- The Tillman Fratricide: What the Defense Departmen...
- ▼ August (53)