Thursday, September 20, 2007
Bush Winning PR War
TV ads - sponsored by a White House front group known as Freedom's Watch - that seek to shore up waning support for the Iraq war by perpetuating the canard that 9/11 was a Hussein production. In their quest to stoke emotions in defiance of fact, the ad-makers aren't exactly subtle. First, some military vets are shown making the case for staying in Iraq. Then, in the key image, we're back on 9/11. The north tower is burning, the second tower is seconds away from igniting, and these words flash on the screen: They Attacked Us.
The ad doesn't state that "they" refers to the Iraqis, but clever advertising is all about connecting the dots. Almost 40 percent of Americans believe Saddam attacked us on 9/11
1. As early as June 2003, one month after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, a monitoring group appointed by the U.N. Security Council announced that it had found no evidence linking Hussein to al-Qaeda.
2. In 2004, the bipartisan 9/11 Commission concluded: "We have no credible evidence that Iraq and al-Qaeda cooperated on attacks against the United States."
3. In 2005, a newly declassified Defense Intelligence Agency document concluded that a key terrorist informant had been "intentionally misleading" his American debriefers when he claimed that Hussein had been in cahoots with al-Qaeda. The document, written 13 months before the U.S. invasion, also stated that "Saddam's regime is intensely secular and is wary of Islamic revolutionary movements."
4. In 2006, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence - which, at the time, was still run by the Republicans - concluded in a report: "Postwar information supports prewar intelligence-community assessments that there was no credible information that Iraq was complicit in, or had foreknowledge of, the Sept. 11 attacks or any other al-Qaeda strike."
5. In February of this year, the Pentagon's acting inspector general concluded in a report that President Bush's neoconservative war planners utilized "both reliable and unreliable" information to fashion a Hussein/al-Qaeda link "that was much stronger than that assessed by the [intelligence community], and more in accord with the policy views of senior officials in the administration."
6. In April of this year, At the Center of the Storm, a memoir by ex-CIA director George Tenet, was published, in which we read that "there was never any real serious evidence that Saddam Hussein was an ally of al-Qaeda."
7. Last, even some notable Bush administration officials have debunked the myth. Donald Rumsfeld did it in 2004: Referring to Hussein and al-Qaeda, he told the Council on Foreign Relations, "I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two." And the other debunker, way back on Sept. 17, 2003, was George W. Bush. In a news conference that day, the president said: "We've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the Sept. 11."
Yet despite all the empirical evidence, a pro-Bush group - financed primarily by some rich Republican donors, and some ex-Bush ambassadors - has nonetheless paid out $15 million to air ads that meet the dictionary definition of propaganda. The ads are airing in 60 districts where Republican congressmen are wavering in their support for the war; Pennsylvania, home to seven targeted GOP House members, is on the front lines of this PR war.
Days Since Michael Steele Said He Won't Resign"The Playa" said he wouldn't resign as head of the RNC ("Not me Baby! Nuh-uh. Not happening. No way, no how.")
23 Days, 23 Hours, 32 Minutes, 38 Seconds.
The Real News Network
Politics on HuffingtonPost.com
MSNBC.com: Countdown With Olbermann
The Nation: Top Stories
YouTube :: Videos by politicstv
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- GoLeft T.V.
- News From Florida
- Bent Society Blog
- My: Political Junki Site
- Election Geek 08
- Travel Democratic
- Just Rumor Mills
- Democratic Victory Network
- Philter Media- Websites
- Rainbow USA
- Democratic News
- Visit Our Shopping Mall
- Read My Book
- If You Think You Are A Conservative
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (432)
- Leading indicators point down for GOP
- Rudys top fundraiser sole backer of California el...
- Limbaugh Calls Iraq Vet : Staff Puke
- Dem Rep To Introduce House Resolution Condemning L...
- Bill Clinton: GOP hypocritical
- WHO'S YOUR CADIDATE IN '08
- Hillary And Obama Roughly Tied For Third-Quarter F...
- NY Times Out Polling The GOP In A Fox News Poll
- Romney Hypocrisy on Venezuela and Iran
- Mike Rogers set to out, Rep. Patrick McHenery toda...
- Rush Limbaugh Attacks U.S. Soldiers
- State Dep't Classifies Publicly-Available Corrupti...
- Bill Clinton Responds to The GOP's MouthPiece ,The...
- 53 Percent prefer, Dems In Congress Comared to GOP...
- Veterans still getting shoddy treatment
- Democrats Who Voted, Against Insurance For Childre...
- War Monger And Hate Merchant Rep. Marsha Blackburn...
- David Schuster: Pro War GOP, Hiding From The Media...
- Rudy Giuliani: Lie After Lie After Lie
- 911 Families Confront Giuliani, Calls Him A Scumba...
- OHanlons Conflict Of Interest Revealed On Fox Ne...
- Condi owned home, shared credit line with another ...
- John Grisham Endorses Clinton
- In Honor of the out going Sen. Ted Stevens (R) AK
- Alaska senator taped in FBI corruption sting
- Bush Winning PR War
- 50% Favor Government Guaranteed Health Care Covera...
- Palast on Clout
- OUR SENATORS MUST HEAR FROM YOU TODAY!
- Grand Obstructionist Party Blocks Pro-Troop Amendm...
- In The News 09-19-07: America's Mercenary Factor
- GOP Avoding Blacks And Hispanics Again
- Dan Rather Files $70M Lawsuit Against CBS
- Moveon.org Wars
- Most corrupt members of Congress
- In The News 09-18-07: Giuliani's Crime Reduction ...
- Republican prosecutor from Florida caught in child...
- The Iraq Blackwater Test
- Value Voters Debate: Wrapup
- Rudy You Betrayed Us
- Matt Drudge Backing Hillary?
- McCain Caught Lying About Progress In Iraq
- Today's News 09-17-07: Human Smuggling Operations ...
- Who Is Michael Mukasey?
- Media Wrap On Greenspan's Book
- Breaking: Bush may announce Michael Mukasey as At...
- Todays News 09-16-07: Today, Lieberman Would be De...
- Kerry: GOP should condemn comments from Boehner
- Alan Keyes jumped into the fray
- Greenspan claims Iraq war was really for oil
- President of HipHop Causus talks about being assau...
- Lies Americans believe about the war in Iraq
- Sen. Ted Stevens, Deak Of Cards Of Corruption Fall...
- Greenspan Blasts GOP: Party "Deserved To Lose"
- Bush - A Betrayal of Trust
- Todays News 09-15-07: In Bush's America We're All ...
- Republicans and Massive Deficits
- Outsourcing Justice? Or raiding our treasury to fu...
- GOP candidates only want to debate in front of Whi...
- John Edwards Responds to Bush's Call for Endless W...
- Today's News 09-14-07: The General's Lies
- Atty. Gen. Alberto Gonzales Leaves Justice Dept. T...
- President Bush's Iraq Speech: Media Wrapup
- Boehner: Troop deaths in Iraq are a small price....
- Dems Demand Boehner Apologize
- Bush 34, Democrats 50
- Media Still Pushing The Iraq War
- Voter Purging: A Legal Way for Republicans to Swin...
- Today's News 09-13-07: Voter Purging: The Republic...
- It Is A Numbers Game
- Bush/Petraeus Report Media Wrap Up
- Most Americans believe the nation's founders wrote...
- Rev. Lennox Yearwood Of PDA Assaulted By DC Police...
- Questions For petraeus
- Univision's Presidential Forum Outdraws English-La...
- Democrats Don't Understand the Role of Emotion
- Boca priest accused in North Carolina sex case res...
- GOP support for Iraq war on shaky ground
- Bush's 'Kick Ass' War Assessment
- Today's News 09-11-07: Petraeus and the Administra...
- DC Madam, Deborah Jeane Palfrey, 'confirms for the...
- Flynt unveiling more Vitter claims
- Tell Congress To Reject The PHONY Bush Betray US R...
- McCain's "No Surrender" tour
- 33 Percent Still Thinks Saddam Attacked On 9-11
- Today's News 09-10-07:Craig will try to take back ...
- Just How Gay is the Gay-Hating GOP
- Most Americans Not Buying The Bush Report
- Harry Reid On The "Bush Report"
- Why Democrats Should Not Be Afraid Of The Boogie M...
- Fred Thompson Reviews Are In
- Today's News 09-08-07: Giuliani: Illegal immigrati...
- Sen. Chuck Hagel to announce retirement
- Keith Olbermann: "Bush" Report A Sham
- 51% of Americans Want Congress to Probe Bush/Chene...
- Todays News 09-06-07:Congressional Dems Seeking Co...
- Breaking: BUSH KNEW BEFORE INVASION THAT SADDAM HA...
- GLAAD Condemns Jerry Lewis for Anti-Gay Slur
- Hookers Hookers Everywhere!
- "Throw the bums out"
- ▼ September (102)